Question: What Are You Going to Do on Sabbatical?

Answer: On this blog, I will write about my personal journey through a year of sabbatical during which I will study and travel. While I will mostly be around my home borough of Staten Island, I will make sure to travel throughout New York like a tourist, visiting museums and trying new food establishments, wandering around unfamiliar neighborhoods. Aside from driving my daughter and son to and from school most days of the week (about 48 miles daily), I will also READ (I have at least 10 books to read including an amazing one I am reading now, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), write, socialize our puppy, go for long walks, listen and observe, do yoga, meditate, cook vegan dishes, spend time with retired or non-working family and friends...

In September of 2018 when I return to teaching 8th grade English Language Arts in Brooklyn, I will have a renewed passion for teaching and improved writing skills and ability to stay calm and joyful despite the stresses in life.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My Family's Reflections and Resolutions for the New Year

December 31st was the coldest New Year’s Eve in New York since 1962; the high was 21 and low 9 degrees. My husband, children, dog, and I were wrapped in fleece and flannel inside our house, the thermostat at 70. It was a quiet evening. We were supposed to have a party, but the families who were supposed to come over had sick children, so it ended up being family night. The kids complained at first and Emerson used the word that aggravates all parents and teachers: boring. We quickly overcame that and played Monopoly, ate black-eyed pea curry and coconut curried collard greens and kale (recipe links included), indulged in pumpkin pie and chocolate, and drew out our resolutions as we do every year. Below are the pictures of what we drew:

Denise’s Resolutions
  1. In the center is Om. It represents that I want to practice yoga regularly, attending classes at least 3 times a week at North Star Yoga and all the other days of the week in my attic. I also want to meditate more and connect with the universe in selfless ways. Om also signifies harmony and oneness, and I want to embody these states in all aspects of life.
  2. One of the most endearing presents I received this Christmas is a Strand tote bag that reads: Make America Read Again. What a witty and true mantra. Reading is fundamental to humanity, and in order for our country to become better, we must actively engage in reading, thinking, learning, and acting. Every book I read gives me new perspectives on life, and I am excited about another year of reading. I want to continue reading new young adult fiction. Right now I am reading American Street by Ibi Zoboi, a young, Haitian-American writer. After this, I plan on taking a break from that genre and reading a novel book by James Baldwin, Olio by Tyehimba Jess, Ordinary Light by Tracy K. Smith, Jenny Zhang’s Sour Heart, and Moth Smoke by Mohsin Hamid.   
  3. I want to continue writing at least one blog post a week for the rest of sabbatical.
  4. One minor chronic condition I have is wanderlust. My favorite section of the NYTimes is the Travel section. I get to visit remote places that I do not have the time nor money to visit. However, I want to broaden my boundaries by visiting new places this year. Having a dog forces me to change my expectations for travel. I am excited about taking some road trips. More than anything, I want to see more of the United States, my homeland and place of birth, a vast expanse of nature, a land of flagrant extremes of triumph and oppression. Places I want to visit: Pittsburgh, Blue Ridge Mountains, Assateague Island, the Adirondacks, and the Great Lakes region.
  5. The fifth part of my resolution map is having fun with family and friends. This includes going to restaurants, shows, museums, parks, beaches, etc. Hanging out often seems like a rare luxury in life. I want to indulge in this area more.  

Resolutions of Emerson, my 8-year old son
He wants to practice soccer more. With new indoor foam and hover balls, he can practice at home throughout the winter. Since he continues to play on Cedar Soccer Stars, he has practice twice a week. His dedication and passion for the sport is inspiring. He has helped me be more active throughout the holiday break by playing soccer with me in the attic.
Emerson also wants to eat healthier, say no to cakes and soda and yes to carrots and broccoli. On the last panel is: do not to play around and listen more in school and to curse less in general. For him to say that, it must mean Sean and I should also curse less.
I love that Emerson independently chose these as his resolutions; he’s really developing a sense of personal growth and responsibility.

Resolutions of my 10-year Old Daughter, Jacinta





Jacinta also wants to eat healthier. She has an intense sweet tooth inherited from my side of the family, and so she plans on eating fewer sweets and more vegetables. She also plans on drawing more. She was very meticulous with these drawings and worked on them for several hours.
She also wants to spend less money yet spend a lot of time with friends. Finally, Jacinta wants to read, ride, and play with our dog, Sirius.
Looking back at another year in my daughter’s life, I am amazed at her generous and fun-loving spirit and sensible nature. I look forward to going on several family bike rides this year; this could be part of our traveling together.

My Husband Sean’s Resolution:
          His drawing is based on a photo he took on his phone in Snug Harbor as he walked the dog in the frigid morning. The moment has many symbolic meanings including how the dog brings nature and human together. In Sean’s journal entry about this, he wrote how the dog reminds him of a few essentials in life: “Connect with the wild. Be one with nature. Stay receptive to your surroundings and in touch with what the earth needs.”
          With that, I finish this post to get ready to put my layers on and take our dog outside the warm walls of our home.  



With that, I finish this post to get ready to put my layers on and take our dog outside the warm walls of our home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment