Question: What Are You Going to Do on Sabbatical?

Answer: On this blog, I will write about my personal journey through a year of sabbatical during which I will study and travel. While I will mostly be around my home borough of Staten Island, I will make sure to travel throughout New York like a tourist, visiting museums and trying new food establishments, wandering around unfamiliar neighborhoods. Aside from driving my daughter and son to and from school most days of the week (about 48 miles daily), I will also READ (I have at least 10 books to read including an amazing one I am reading now, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), write, socialize our puppy, go for long walks, listen and observe, do yoga, meditate, cook vegan dishes, spend time with retired or non-working family and friends...

In September of 2018 when I return to teaching 8th grade English Language Arts in Brooklyn, I will have a renewed passion for teaching and improved writing skills and ability to stay calm and joyful despite the stresses in life.

Friday, January 12, 2018

Crossroads in American Street by Ibi Zoboi




         Fabiola Toussaint, the protagonist of Ibi Zoboi's debut novel, often finds herself stuck at crossroads where opposing worlds and places converge and collide. She and her mother, Valerie, have left their home in Haiti to live with Valerie’s older sister Marjorie and her daughters Chantal, Donna, and Pri in Detroit, Michigan. However, the journey does not go as planned, and instead, Fabiola and her mother are separated by a glass wall and Customs in Kennedy Airport. Her mother is being detained while Fabiola, born in the U.S., and thus, an American citizen, is allowed to continue to her destination, but now she is alone. At the airport in Detroit, her cousins pick her up, and they must all accept the absence of Valerie. They do not dwell on this reality and try to reassure Fabiola that their mother, her Matant Jo, will bring her mother back.

          A moment that clears the path for a new road is when Chantal, the eldest of the three sisters, acts with tenderness toward her cousin; it is a winter night, and she "takes off her thick, long scarf and wraps it around my shoulders - a gesture that only my mother has ever done for me. Back in Haiti, it was always just me and Manman. But now, my world has ballooned and in it are these three cousins, and my aunt, too. Family takes care of each other, I tell myself. We will get my manman. We leave the airport. It feels like I'm leaving part of me behind - a let, an arm. My whole heart"(13). The rest of the story involves Fabiola's struggle to get her heart back.

          As a high school teenager, Fabiola must traverse many roads on her own, without her mother's guidance. She must learn to live the American way of her cousins and aunt in her new home at the crossroads of American Street and Joy Road, surrounded by abandoned buildings, a "liquor place", and a "God place" (36). She must adjust her eating: "There are only eggs and sliced bread. There are no plantains and avocados to make a complete Haitian breakfast" (36). She must get used to the new landscape: "Nothing here is alive with color like in Haiti. The sun hides behind a concrete sky... But God has painted this place gray and brown. Only a thin white sheet of snow covers the burned-out houses and buildings" (47). She must adjust to a new school, the private school that Donna and Pri attend. She meets new people at Dray, Donna's boyfriend's birthday party. Here she encounters archetypal characters who she had often been warned about in Haiti: vabagon, people who lead to nothing but trouble, and malfekte, people who are evil. But she also meets Kasim, a charismatic shapeshifter who associates with Dray, the malfekte, but in reality, is a lover, and he helps to fill the void left by her mother's absence. While there are many conflicts caused by the convergence of divergent paths and characters, Fabiola settles into her new life with great determination to find the way to her heart, her mother.

          Another crossroad where conflict exists is between reader and narrator. Throughout the book, I doubted and questioned Fabiola's trust in the Iwas and her belief that Bad Leg, the local vagabond who sings on the corner outside her house, is Papa Legba. She explains who this religious deity is to her cousins: "He is the Iwa of crossroads. When there's no way, Papa Legba will make a way. He opens doors and unlocks gates...I have to pray to him so he can help my mother come to this side" (34). Fabiola listens to this homeless man's songs and believes they are prophecies, and she bases many of her choices on his lyrics. To me, she is naive, and it frustrates me that she makes decisions based on spiritual reckoning rather than reason. At the same time, this tension keeps readers engaged and committed to Fabiola's journey.

          For a short while, her life moves along a peaceful path. She is able to unite her Haitian and American cultures as she makes Thanksgiving dinner for the first time. As Fabiola concocts her own versions of traditional dishes, she finds herself "at peace" and in her element: "I let the warmth of the house wrap around me. I let the scents of my food fill me up with nothing but joy, because this moment is like a hug from God" (230). I, too, relish this moment because I can relate to the power of food to stir up sentiments of belonging and familial love. The kitchen is a place where cultures can cross and meet in surprising ways, where people, especially recent immigrants, can find comfort despite the strains of assimilation and alienation.
          
          Soon after this meal, Fabiola collides with several unexpected obstructions. The obstructions involve truths about her Detroit family, a female law enforcer named Detective Stevens who enlists her help to arrest suspects involved in the death of a white female from a lethal cocktail of designer drugs, and Dray and Kasim. A series of unfortunate events occur and she struggles to find her way out of the wreckage. In the end, we find where the roads lead to, and we are left wondering, does Bad Leg/Papa Legba really open up the way for her or is it the manifestation of the American Dream? What roads will open for her now?
         
           

No comments:

Post a Comment