Question: What Are You Going to Do on Sabbatical?

Answer: On this blog, I will write about my personal journey through a year of sabbatical during which I will study and travel. While I will mostly be around my home borough of Staten Island, I will make sure to travel throughout New York like a tourist, visiting museums and trying new food establishments, wandering around unfamiliar neighborhoods. Aside from driving my daughter and son to and from school most days of the week (about 48 miles daily), I will also READ (I have at least 10 books to read including an amazing one I am reading now, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), write, socialize our puppy, go for long walks, listen and observe, do yoga, meditate, cook vegan dishes, spend time with retired or non-working family and friends...

In September of 2018 when I return to teaching 8th grade English Language Arts in Brooklyn, I will have a renewed passion for teaching and improved writing skills and ability to stay calm and joyful despite the stresses in life.

Friday, January 19, 2018

The Women's March

Last year at the inaugural NYC Women's March, my children and I marched with other families from our school community and several thousands of other families. We held paper signs that read: Equal Rights for Girls and Girl Power. We walked through midtown, marveled at the masses, stood in unmoving crowds, snapped cellphone photos, and handed out snacks to ward off hunger and tantrums. The kids and their friends were energized and emboldened by the cold and the atmosphere of protest and collective action. At some point, they chanted "Dump Trump" while we, the parents, tried to encourage more positive rhetoric and discourage hate rants. We did our best to transform all of our outrage and mortified disbelief into peace and love.

The 45th presidency began a new era of learning for our children and young people across the country. Thanks to the newly-elected president, they had to learn the double meaning of the word pussy; they were baffled that a man who said he would grab a girl by her pussy could be the man with the most political power in the country. They were also frightened by his beliefs; they questioned the fairness of his promise to ban Muslims from our country when so many of their classmates and friends are Muslim. This shows that many of our children have an unyielding power that the president lacks: empathy. This ability will help our children promote kindness and peace in their daily lives. This gives me hope.

With the 2nd NYC Women's March taking place tomorrow, Saturday January 20th, there is a lot on my mind. Should my kids and I attend? My kids have karate and drum lessons, my daughter has a 2:30 middle school audition and another the following morning, and my son has a soccer game later Saturday afternoon. If we attend, we will have to miss classes and risk being late or emotionally unprepared for the audition, and I will get burnt out by noon. While I am willing to make these sacrifices and have a burning desire to participate in this march, my husband and I decided that we should not take these risks.

Instead, my kids and I will make signs for those we know who are attending the march. And we will continue leading lives of empathy, civic engagement, and spiritual and intellectual development through reading and learning. We will raise our children to raise their voices against unfairness and oppression. We will raise our children with the understanding that all people are equal, regardless of gender, race, or religion. We will raise our children to be feminists who believe in and demand social and economic equality for all genders.

This new era has helped me grow into a more socially and civically responsible and active citizen. I never grew up with a sense of voice or national or local politics. I never started calling senators until 2017. Like many women, I feel a more urgent need to fight for equality and empathy. With this in mind, I have been thinking of people and words that inspire empowerment and change. Here are a few quotes that may go well on signs:


"I'm a woman
Phenomenally,
Phenomenal woman,
That's me."
- Maya Angelou

"Women's rights are human rights."
- Hillary Clinton

"The only way we can create global peace
is through not only educating our minds,
but our hearts and our souls."
- Malala Yousafzai

"If there is no struggle, there is no progress...
Power concedes nothing without a demand."
- Frederick Douglass


Other possible slogans:

Less patriarchy!
More Pussy Power!

Say it loud!
I'm feminist,
and I'm proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment