Question: What Are You Going to Do on Sabbatical?

Answer: On this blog, I will write about my personal journey through a year of sabbatical during which I will study and travel. While I will mostly be around my home borough of Staten Island, I will make sure to travel throughout New York like a tourist, visiting museums and trying new food establishments, wandering around unfamiliar neighborhoods. Aside from driving my daughter and son to and from school most days of the week (about 48 miles daily), I will also READ (I have at least 10 books to read including an amazing one I am reading now, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), write, socialize our puppy, go for long walks, listen and observe, do yoga, meditate, cook vegan dishes, spend time with retired or non-working family and friends...

In September of 2018 when I return to teaching 8th grade English Language Arts in Brooklyn, I will have a renewed passion for teaching and improved writing skills and ability to stay calm and joyful despite the stresses in life.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Sitting in a Cafe on a Weekday Morning

No bells signaling the start and end of a period
Just the short, guttural spurts of the espresso machine,
Etta James crooning At Last through ceiling speakers.
I watch the line of Red Hook locals,
Young women in cropped wide pants and sandals,
Men in shorts and Converse -
Finding caffeinated sustenance in this
Art Deco inspired polished space.
A voyeur, with the liberty to look around
And listen, I marvel at this mundane setting.

Wandering through my cafe archives,
I am doing chemistry homework with Sheila at a cafe
On St. Marks near Ave A,
French press and Marlboro Lights.
A place on the south side of Bedford Ave
owned by a French man who served
sake, green tea, and onigiri.
At Ozzie's on 7th Ave, meeting with a writing group -
passing around copies of poems, giving feedback.

More than just pastries and roasted coffee beans,
A good cafe is a vital organ of a block or neighborhood,
Place where people meet, rest, or write.
Throughout time, across countries, counties, cities,
We can drink the moment and savor the scones,
Swallow the memory and digest its space.

1 comment:

  1. Aw! I saw me and you in here and knew just the place you meant! My heart is exploding with saudades for you!

    ReplyDelete