Question: What Are You Going to Do on Sabbatical?

Answer: On this blog, I will write about my personal journey through a year of sabbatical during which I will study and travel. While I will mostly be around my home borough of Staten Island, I will make sure to travel throughout New York like a tourist, visiting museums and trying new food establishments, wandering around unfamiliar neighborhoods. Aside from driving my daughter and son to and from school most days of the week (about 48 miles daily), I will also READ (I have at least 10 books to read including an amazing one I am reading now, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), write, socialize our puppy, go for long walks, listen and observe, do yoga, meditate, cook vegan dishes, spend time with retired or non-working family and friends...

In September of 2018 when I return to teaching 8th grade English Language Arts in Brooklyn, I will have a renewed passion for teaching and improved writing skills and ability to stay calm and joyful despite the stresses in life.

Thursday, September 7, 2017

September


Back to 5:30 weekday rising,
packing lunches in stainless steel tiffins,
spraying the kids with water to wake them,
then the band of bowls, spoons,
soymilk, and cereal boxes playing at the table.
The final measure in the morning song:
crescendo of socks, shoes, backpacks,
footsteps hurrying into the car by 6:45.


But for the first time in 18 years,
the restart of this routine is smoother.
I do not have to prepare my lunch
nor worry about lesson plans,
can wear yoga pants and a wicking shirt.
And after dropping the kids off,
six and half hours of alone time
with puppy, a book, steaming tea.


What will I do with these 180 paid days?
Absorb the air, travel through pages, cities, woods,
practice inversions, write freely,
fulfill simple wishes:
wonder and wander around the Whitney,
read more Baldwin and watch I Am Not Your Negro,
listen to Moth stories and altlatino,
better myself as a mother and citizen.

 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful piece! Just now getting around to reading your blog two months later. So glad you are still adding to it! It's great to read your work again. xox

    ReplyDelete