Question: What Are You Going to Do on Sabbatical?

Answer: On this blog, I will write about my personal journey through a year of sabbatical during which I will study and travel. While I will mostly be around my home borough of Staten Island, I will make sure to travel throughout New York like a tourist, visiting museums and trying new food establishments, wandering around unfamiliar neighborhoods. Aside from driving my daughter and son to and from school most days of the week (about 48 miles daily), I will also READ (I have at least 10 books to read including an amazing one I am reading now, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), write, socialize our puppy, go for long walks, listen and observe, do yoga, meditate, cook vegan dishes, spend time with retired or non-working family and friends...

In September of 2018 when I return to teaching 8th grade English Language Arts in Brooklyn, I will have a renewed passion for teaching and improved writing skills and ability to stay calm and joyful despite the stresses in life.

Friday, September 15, 2017

My Daily Affairs

Last night, I sat on a cushion to read The Enlightened Heart, edited by Stephen Mitchell. A thumb-size flowery bookmark led me to read this poem by Layman P'Ang

My daily affairs are quite ordinary;
But I'm in total harmony with them.
I don't hold on to anything, don't reject anything;
Nowhere an obstacle or conflict.
Who cares about wealth and honor?
Even the poorest thing shines.
My miraculous power and spiritual activity:
Drawing water and carrying wood.


I love the phrase, "miraculous power"; it makes me wonder if I have such a power, if we all do. How would I end this poem?
Perhaps:
- driving this Prius and carrying kids to school
- filling up water bottles and thermoses and packing lunch bags
- loading up the trunk with bags of groceries and unpacking them in the kitchen
- putting down the paper to promptly pick up the kids at dismissal
- reading a book and bring a mug of chai to my lips
- sitting seiza on a cushion in the attic zendo, who hears my breathing?

No comments:

Post a Comment