Question: What Are You Going to Do on Sabbatical?

Answer: On this blog, I will write about my personal journey through a year of sabbatical during which I will study and travel. While I will mostly be around my home borough of Staten Island, I will make sure to travel throughout New York like a tourist, visiting museums and trying new food establishments, wandering around unfamiliar neighborhoods. Aside from driving my daughter and son to and from school most days of the week (about 48 miles daily), I will also READ (I have at least 10 books to read including an amazing one I am reading now, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), write, socialize our puppy, go for long walks, listen and observe, do yoga, meditate, cook vegan dishes, spend time with retired or non-working family and friends...

In September of 2018 when I return to teaching 8th grade English Language Arts in Brooklyn, I will have a renewed passion for teaching and improved writing skills and ability to stay calm and joyful despite the stresses in life.

Saturday, December 23, 2017

More Ruminations on American Identity




It’s been 22 days since my last post. I am sorry that I have not made time to sit and write. However, I did use my time to complete final projects for sabbatical classes, bake cookies for parties, make jars of trail mix to give as presents to the kids’ teachers, and spend time with friends and family at parties and restaurants. It’s been festive and frenetic. But alas, the holiday vacation has arrived, and I will be sure to do the hardest work of writing, sitting down for an extended period of time and letting my fingers tap along rows of buttons as I contemplate and communicate the ideas on my mind. At the moment, while my husband and children watch Elf, I sit at the dining room table and write.  

In the vast landscape of American culture, there has been a growing representation of diverse cultures and voices in literature and media. I want to continue writing about identity which I began writing about In an earlier post, “What Does America Stand For?”. One book that deepens my understanding of this question is Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi.

Anyone who calls America home should read this novel. Yaa Gyasi artfully weaves together several characters’ stories of the slave trade in Ghana, the Middle Passage, slavery in the U.S., the Great Migration in America, and modern day. The book takes the readers through the harrowing and heartbreaking lives of families forcefully separated, the savage treatment of slaves, and the repercussions of slavery on race relations. It forces us to confront the trauma and scars left behind by over two hundred years of the brutal business of slavery.

The novel begins with an unlikely union between Effia, daughter of an Asante, and James, a British man of power who captures women and holds them in a dungeon before shipping them as slaves to the New World. While young girls are trapped in the dungeon, Effia, daughter of a tribal leader, is forced to live a lonely life in the Cape Coast Castle as the wife of James. This is one example of bondage seen in the text. Each subsequent chapter focuses on a different character who has a connection to this character and this place.

The next chapter is about Esi, a fifteen year old girl trapped in James’ Castle Dungeon. She is the daughter of a warrior but was captured and now stands ankle-deep in excrement, wishing to be freed, then later raped by a British officer. Her child will go on to be a slave in the U.S. These characters’ lives and legacies continue throughout the book. Much later in the story, Sonny, a descendant of Esi, struggles with segregation and drugs. For him, “the practice of segregation meant that he had to feel his separateness as inequality, and that was what he could not take.” (244).

The story moves mostly in chronological order and by the end, it is modern day Alabama and New York. We, the readers, can see how the characters’ lives are linked. Marjorie and Marcus, two college students who meet at a party, return home to their roots in Ghana. Marjorie holds the black stone necklace, a family heirloom, the stone that Esi, in the beginning of the novel, hid in the “river of shit” in James’ Castle. Marcus, visiting this country for the first time, becomes immersed in its elements. Together, they confront where their ancestors suffered as slaves but also learn that they can rise above the past and float in the present.  

No comments:

Post a Comment