Question: What Are You Going to Do on Sabbatical?

Answer: On this blog, I will write about my personal journey through a year of sabbatical during which I will study and travel. While I will mostly be around my home borough of Staten Island, I will make sure to travel throughout New York like a tourist, visiting museums and trying new food establishments, wandering around unfamiliar neighborhoods. Aside from driving my daughter and son to and from school most days of the week (about 48 miles daily), I will also READ (I have at least 10 books to read including an amazing one I am reading now, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), write, socialize our puppy, go for long walks, listen and observe, do yoga, meditate, cook vegan dishes, spend time with retired or non-working family and friends...

In September of 2018 when I return to teaching 8th grade English Language Arts in Brooklyn, I will have a renewed passion for teaching and improved writing skills and ability to stay calm and joyful despite the stresses in life.

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Inspired by Emily Dickinson's "I Started Early- Took my Dog" (656)

I have always found Dickinson’s poem # 656 mysterious, playful, imaginative, and eerie. There are "mermaids in the basement" and "frigates in the upper floor". I wonder if it's based on a dream or reverie, if it reflects a fear of or desire for being swallowed up by the sea. In the 3rd stanza, the tide goes past the narrator's shoe, belt, and bodice, and "made as he would eat me up". In this moment, she doesn't seem afraid; rather, she seems in control and amused. In the end, "the sea withdrew"; this seems a sign that the narrator can continue a walk along the sea.


The poem also made me wonder if Dickinson had a dog, and a quick Internet investigation led me to Carlo; he was given to her by her father and was her constant companion on long walks through the woods.


Here is her poem, followed by my own version.


I STARTED early, took my dog,

And visited the sea;

The mermaids in the basement

Came out to look at me,

 

And frigates in the upper floor
       
Extended hempen hands,

Presuming me to be a mouse

Aground, upon the sands.

 

But no man moved me till the tide

Went past my simple shoe,
       
And past my apron and my belt,

And past my bodice too,

 

And made as he would eat me up

As wholly as a dew

Upon a dandelion’s sleeve—

And then I started too.

 

And he—he followed close behind;

I felt his silver heel

Upon my ankle,—then my shoes

Would overflow with pearl.

 

Until we met the solid town,

No man he seemed to know;

And bowing with a mighty look

At me, the sea withdrew.




"I Started Strong - But My Dog Took Me" by Denise Galang




The belly side of an empty horseshoe crab
a black orb, puddled with saltwater,
its blade the length of a limb.
It sends Sirius, the leash, my arm  
across the silty sand.
Her front legs steering me
away from the Lower Bay.
She makes deep imprints with her paws.
I try to sink my soles deeper
use the strength of my quads,
pull her with both hands
as if pulling on reins of a horse.


She is forging a new path now.
Her wet nose follows prints of trident toes
left by mobs of seagulls that populate the beach.
Sirius licks their fresh excretions,
her palate flooded with flavor
of sea, fish, brine, and local,
unknown food sources.  
My pleas of “heal” are hopeless,
her harness like an invisible thread.
I cease calling/yelling her name,
save the lamb liver treats in my hand for later,
allow myself to be submerged
in October summer,
the shore’s ujjayi breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment