Question: What Are You Going to Do on Sabbatical?

Answer: On this blog, I will write about my personal journey through a year of sabbatical during which I will study and travel. While I will mostly be around my home borough of Staten Island, I will make sure to travel throughout New York like a tourist, visiting museums and trying new food establishments, wandering around unfamiliar neighborhoods. Aside from driving my daughter and son to and from school most days of the week (about 48 miles daily), I will also READ (I have at least 10 books to read including an amazing one I am reading now, Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi), write, socialize our puppy, go for long walks, listen and observe, do yoga, meditate, cook vegan dishes, spend time with retired or non-working family and friends...

In September of 2018 when I return to teaching 8th grade English Language Arts in Brooklyn, I will have a renewed passion for teaching and improved writing skills and ability to stay calm and joyful despite the stresses in life.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

A Blessing? (Inspired by A Blessing by James Wright)


Another brisk walk in Snug Harbor -
the evening sun is going down
the dark velvet sky.


Red leash tethers Sirius to me
against her natural will. She lunges
for a squirrel. Heel - I command.


We walk toward Henderson Avenue.
To the right of the path, along the hill
of the Healing Garden


a pair of soft brown eyes meet mine -
a doe, ears pointing toward darkening sky,
limbs slender, torso balanced and still.


Talking to a friend through earbuds, I say,
“Holy shit - deer? Here? Let me call you back.”
Yes, a doe and two fawns.


I don’t care to approach or pet them.
Instead, I turn around and walk quickly
away from the white-tailed animals.


I look back and they tilt their heads and stare,
mocking me for fleeing. I’ve seen deer
in Fresh and Great Kills, but never so close.


The garden snakes, rabbits, geese,
bluejays, and squirrels are familiar neighbors,
but these deer encroach on my private peace.


What will happen to the neighborhood
if these hoofed creatures settle in?
More car accidents, ticks, droppings.


How did they even get here?
Through which gate - there are only five?
Did they pass by the Children’s Museum?


Did they marvel at the woolly mammoth
in the window of the SI Museum?
Prance across an outdoor wedding in the gardens?


Why would they come here?
Perhaps the woods on the South Shore are overcrowded.
Maybe these creatures simply seek culture.


This 80-acre park is a great destination
for all bipeds and quadrupeds, even if surrounded
by avenues where drivers speed 20+ miles above the 25 mph limit.  


I wonder if I will see these newcomers tomorrow morning
on the lawn where dogs roam and wrestle

unleashed. Sirius will either sniff them or run away.



Here is James Wright's "A Blessing" which resonated in my mind while I was thinking through this poem. It made me excited about writing a pastoral set on Staten Island.


A Blessing

Just off the highway to Rochester, Minnesota,
Twilight bounds softly forth on the grass.
And the eyes of those two Indian ponies
Darken with kindness.
They have come gladly out of the willows
To welcome my friend and me.
We step over the barbed wire into the pasture
Where they have been grazing all day, alone.
They ripple tensely, they can hardly contain their happiness   
That we have come.
They bow shyly as wet swans. They love each other.
There is no loneliness like theirs.   
At home once more,
They begin munching the young tufts of spring in the darkness.   
I would like to hold the slenderer one in my arms,
For she has walked over to me   
And nuzzled my left hand.   
She is black and white,
Her mane falls wild on her forehead,
And the light breeze moves me to caress her long ear
That is delicate as the skin over a girl’s wrist.
Suddenly I realize
That if I stepped out of my body I would break
Into blossom.


No comments:

Post a Comment